• FEATURES
  • PRICING
  • MARKETPLACE
  • CASE STUDIES
  • BLOG
  • Multiple Specimen Use Cases

As we are rewriting the UI for OS v2.0, we would like to know who uses multiple specimen page(below screenshot) and uses cases.

This page is used to create unplanned parent or derivative specimens in bulk:

1. Create multiple unplanned specimens at once: Are these similar in characteristics, will apply to all feature help?
    2. Do you want to create its derivatives/aliquots on the same page?
    3. Typically how many such specimens do you create at a time?
    4. Do we need collection/received events fields on this page, can it be populated based on details specified under SpecimenCollectionGroup/Visit.

Any other use cases that is missing in current UI?

Please submit your feedback by 16th Jan.

Thanks,
    Poornima

1. We do create multiple unplanned specimens at once, usually different in nature but could be similar. I could see an apply to all feature being useful, however not sure how much we would use it. If it was implemented so that you chose one of the boxes on the left and only that field was applied to all, I could see that being very useful.
    2. If this would make the screen and workflow faster, then yes. However, we usually do not create these on the same page.
    3. It varies immensely for us. We sometimes will use the screen to create 2-5 different specimen types at once. Most of the time however we use this screen to add an External ID (block ID; ex. A1, B1) in bulk to anywhere from 3-100 specimens. This is where the “apply to all” could be really beneficial, although we wouldn’t use it all the time as some of the Ext IDs are unique. What would really be great is if a field for Surgical Pathology Block ID were added onto the Specimen Details page. :smile:
    4. For us, some of the event data would be useful to show such as Micron Size and Stain Type, however most of the event data probably wouldn’t need to be shown for us.

Best, Rachel

Hello @Rachel_Jewell,

Thanks for your inputs. One of the main goals of OS v2.0 is to make it configurable to allow you to add new fields and change UI screens as per your workflow easily(Note: this will still need code changes). This way fields like block ID, micron size and stain type can be added.

For updating specimens to add external ID, we would suggest you use Bulk Operation if you want to do it for 100s of specimens. Easier to handle in excel for such large numbers.

Thanks,
    Poornima

Thanks @pgovindrao! The Bulk Operation for this function (specifically to add the Block ID) actually takes longer than to just go through the multiple specimens page, which is why we’ve been using it for that functionality. However I’m excited to see if this will change in OS v1.1.

1. Yes, I think an apply all feature would help, especially for the Collected Event and Received Event. There have been occasions where if would have been helpful if the Collected Event and Received event details from the SCG would have transferred to the multiple specimens created on this page.
    2. I agree with @Rachel_Jewell here - if this makes the screen faster (which I think it would), then creating derivatives/aliquots on the same page would be beneficial.
    3. Varies, but typically < 10
    4. See my comments in #1 above - I think it would be helpful to have the these details populated based on details in the SCG section.

This currently is not a heavily used feature for our users, though some users have indicated possible future use for collection protocols in development.

We actually use this page a lot at Wash U to enter ad hock specimens. We use the Copy and Paste features all the time when using this page and that works very similar to an “apply to all” I think it is crucial to keep the collected and received events here as it would be a pain to collect the specimens then have to navigate to a different page to enter the Collected and Received events. Also users may fail to go to these pages to update the information as they may not know it is there to be updated. I think it would be nice to create the derivative and aliquot at the same time. We will create anywhere from 3 -50 in this page.
    I am not sure how you would apply collected and received events from the SCG as these are ad hock specimens. If you are entering 50 different slides (cut from different paraffin blocks) then the collected and received events would be the same, but that is not always the case. We handle that by entering all the data (class, type, site, etc.) in specimen 1 (minus the specimen label) including the collected, event, received event, and external Id name. Then check the box for specimen 1 and click Copy. Then we check the boxes for the remaining specimens and click Paste. Now all we have to do is enter the specimen label and the external ID value for each specimen. But if we receive 10ml EDTA and 10 SST those would have different Collected events. We actually handle that very similar to the slides described above. For specimen 1 we enter Fluid, Whole Blood, Blood, Non-Malignant, 10ml ,the date, and then Venipunter, EDTA and the received event. Copy specimen 1 and paste to specimen 2. Then open the collection event and change to No Additive tube. We do use the derivative option in this page too so it woukd be really nice to create the aliquots here at the same time.
    I think the most confusing thing about the page is the user has to click comments to minimize the Collected, received or external ID fields