• FEATURES
  • PRICING
  • MARKETPLACE
  • CASE STUDIES
  • BLOG
  • Questions about some fields and how it is used

Q1: Collection protocol short title: There are two fields short title and long title. The short title is used to display the CP name in different pages. However, the current length of short title is not really “short”. So it ends up wrapping or getting chopped off in many pages.
    Krishagni: Is it OK to enforce short title width of 10 chars?

Q2: SCG Name: Current auto generator is . That does not look very useful to me.
    Krishagni: What is this field used for? How do you generated your SCG names? If you enter manually, do you have a format?

Q3: Participant protocol id: is currently optional data; either it is system generated or manually populated.
    Krishagni: Can this be made mandatory? You can let the system auto-generate an unique ID.

Q4: Specimen class: This is used to short-list the specimen type.
    Krishagni: Do we need this? Can we not just show the full list of type and let user select a type?

Q5: Collection protocol fields: “consent waived” and “store all aliquots in same container”
    Krishagni: Plan to remove these fields

Amy Response: I am guessing you are referring to removing these fields form the Create CP page. If Consent Waived is removed how would sites record that consent is not required? I am not sure how many users actually use it, though. So I guess I do not have any strong feeling for removing or keeping it.
    As far as “store all specimens in the same container” again I am not sure how many users actually use this feature, but I do know those that do, it greatly helps when OS (caTissue) is selecting the storage container. Will there be an option when specimens are being created to store specimens in the same container? It think that if there is an option when creating specimens then it would be fine to remove from the collection protocol page.

Amy,

50 chars would be this big: “12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890”. That is still little bigger than ideal to fit in all the UI cards, dropdowns, etc so that its easily viewable.

I think 30 chars is most optimal. It covers ~7 out 10 cases and rest 3 you can edit to make it smaller.

Or the other option is to keep the at 50 but truncate it while displaying in the screens where it can be fully displayed. Like “123456789012345678901234567890…”

~Sri

I took a quick look in our database at Hopkins and we don’t have anything over 20 characters for Short Title, but we do have multiple CPs with short titles between 10 and 20. I agree with Amy that 10 is too restrictive, but I think we would be fine at 30 characters.

@Matthew_Marcetich, do you agree?

@bob_lange Yes, our short titles do not exceed 20 characters, and I agree a 30-character limit would be fine for our users.

I am good with a 30 character limit. So what will happen when sites have CP short titles now that are greater that 30 characters when they migrate to OS? Will they need to rename them?